You want a hearty chili to warm you up and fill you up? This vegan chili from the culinary school Natural Epicurean Culinary of the Arts not only does that, but it also transforms you with a Caribbean twist. The butternut squash and touch of citrus also help add some color.
Caribbean Black Bean Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and medium diced
- 6 TBS olive oil
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 medium white onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, medium diced
- 2 quarts veggie stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 habanero chilies
- 1 oranges, zested
- 2 limes, zested
- 4 cans of black beans (14 ounce), rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 TBS fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, de-stemmed and minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, toss diced butternut squash with 2 TBS olive oil. Sprinkle 2 tsp allspice, 1 teaspoon of 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1⁄2 teaspoon of cayenne over squash. Toss with spices until evenly coated. Spread out diced squash onto a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast squash in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until tender. Set aside
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Sauté onions in stock pot, constantly stirring, until fragrant and translucent. Add ginger and whole garlic cloves and sauté with onions for additional 3-5 minutes until fragrant. Add tomatoes and continue to stir until tomatoes are cooked down into a light pink color. Deglaze with 2 quarts of stock. Add bay leaf, whole habanero chilies, citrus zest, black beans, and sea salt. Bring to a light boil. Add roasted squash, thyme, remaining black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered. Add orange juice, green onions and cilantro. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. Pull whole habanero chilies out of stock pot before serving!
- Serve over rice with a scoop of vegan sour cream or coconut cream.