Looking for an appetizer that'll blow everyone away? Sweet and savory caramelized onions and smoky Shiitake bacon top this amazing, gooey cheese dip. Serve with crispy toast to add crunch factor and you've got everything you need for the perfect party snack. This would also be a great option for backyard barbecues and game day parties.
Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip With Shiitake Bacon [Vegan]
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 cup sliced Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Onions:
- 2 sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
For the Dip:
- 1 10-ounce block vegan mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly, ground black pepper
- 1/2 cube dried vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 14-ounce block silken tofu, drained
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Wash and slice Shiitake, soak in the mixture for as long as you can (the longer the better), and bake in the oven on 200°F for 30-40 minutes. Rotate midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be soft, yet crispy. You can do this in advance.
To Make the Onions:
- Place onions in a crock pot on low, add the butter, coconut sugar, season with salt, and cook for at least 3 hours until browned. Stir every 30-45 minutes (the slower the better, it adds more flavor), or if you have less time cook sliced onions over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions turn a deep golden brown color, about 20 minutes.
To Make the Cheese Dip:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place drained tofu in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, then blend again. Add the mixture to a greased skillet. Top with the shredded vegan cheese.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, remove from heat, top with mushrooms and onions, and cook for and additional 5-7 minutes until slightly crisp.
- Remove from heat, top with additional thyme, and serve with toast points.
- Cheesy Recipes