Frozen pastry dough is actually vegan. Whoa. While it's awesome to make everything from scratch, the idea of an accessible affordable frozen vegan option is perfect for those nights you’re looking for a more effortless recipe! This recipe is quick, easy, cheesy, has a handful of ingredients, packs tons of flavor, aesthetic appeal, perfect for any season, non-vegan approved, and guaranteed to make you swoon even if you’re not an “onion person!”
Cheesy Caramelized Onion and Shiitake ‘Bacon’ Tart [Vegan]
For the Tart:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions (any type) cups
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces frozen puff pastry (defrosted a couple hours in the refrigerator, or make your own)
- 2 cups shredded soft vegan mozzarella
- 1 cup vegan parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 8-ounce package of Shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cracked black pepper
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250°F for 30 to 40 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard (coat in ingredients for however long you can).
To Caramelize the Onions:
- Heat oil in a large deep pot or pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until wilted and starting to brown. Add sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat and cook gently, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until richly caramelized. Add a little water if the onions look like they are starting to dry out. Cool.
- Roll pastry into a 10-to-14-inch rectangle (or whatever shape you want). Place pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick with a fork at a couple inch increments to prevent the pastry from forming big bubbles while baking.
- Spread onions over pastry, all the way to the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle cheese on top. Sprinkle with thyme. Refrigerate if not baking immediately.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 18-20 minutes or until cheese has melted and pastry is crispy.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.