These brownies are rich. Like Beyonce and Jay-Z rich. Like you’ll need a glass of water rich. Like you’ll need a couple scoops of dairy-free ice cream rich (but when do you not?). My main advice for making perfect fudgey brownies is to under bake them. I know it sounds crazy, but remember everything is vegan, you don’t need to worry about it. And I’m only talking 3-5 minutes. By pulling them out at 25 minutes as opposed to 30, the brownies will be moister, and therefore fudgier and yummier.
Caramel Fudge Brownies [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (plain, not spiced)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark over light)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line an 8×8 baking pan.
- Make the caramel: Heat the brown sugar and margarine in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Allow the mixture to bubble for a minute or two – by this point it should look like one (not two separate) components. Lift the pan away from the heat and pour the coconut milk in. Return to the heat and stir for about a minute straight. When everything is all mixed together, allow the mixture to bubble again. Allow it to cook for another 4-5 minutes and stir occasionally. Remove it from the heat, wait for it to stop bubbling and add the vanilla and pinch of salt. Set aside while you make the brownie batter.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, almond milk, coconut oil, sugar and vanilla. Stir really well.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the pumpkin mixture. Stir until everything is just combined.
- Pour half of the brownie mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of chocolate chips on top. Pour the caramel sauce on the chocolate chips. Carefully add the rest of the brownie batter on top of the caramel sauce. It will be difficult to spread due to the caramel sauce being there. It’s okay if it’s not perfectly even, but use your hands to spread it out the best you can.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes and cut into 9 slices.
Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS