These mouthwatering cookie bars begin with a shortbread cookie base that's baked in the oven until golden. The first layer is then topped with a layer of rich caramel, which is finished off with a rich topping of dark chocolate. These simple cookie bars are the perfect thing to bring along to parties.
Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut blossom sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
For the Caramel Filling:
- 3/4 cup coconut blossom sugar
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
For the Topping:
- 3 1/2 ounces vegan 70 percent dark chocolate
- To prepare the crust, preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well, then put it into a baking dish with parchment paper. Or just grease the dish with a little bit of coconut oil. Bake this for about 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of baking the crust, combine all the ingredients for the caramel layer in a saucepan over medium head. Bring the caramel ingredients to a slow boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and creamy, about 5-10 minutes. Pour the caramel over the baked crust.
- While the caramel is setting, melt the chocolate in a microwave, and pour it over the caramel.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator to cool, then slice the bars, and serve.