Nothing is better than a hearty bowl of chili to keep you warm on a cool night. This black bean chili gets a special flavorful twist with squash. Onion, garlic, chili, and cumin turn up the heat in this dish, as butternut squash balances it out with a rich sweetness. Served topped with avocado and chips and this recipe is guaranteed to please.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash approximately 2 pounds, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onion and squash and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Once the onion is translucent, add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt, and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the beans, tomatoes with liquid, and broth. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, until the squash is tender and the chili is thick and hearty.
- Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro, and serve with creamy avocado and crispy tortilla chips.