This is part of our #5under5 recipe series, a collection of original plant-based recipes made by yours truly that cost less than $5 per serving and can be made with only five ingredients. No way, right?!
Let's say it's Friday night and you forgot you need to make something to bring to a dinner party. Your wallet is almost empty and you're short on time – what can you possibly make? Enter these Buffalo Sweet Potato Stuffed Mushrooms: baby Bella mushrooms stuffed with a sweet potato and chickpea pâté that's generously seasoned with tangy Buffalo hot sauce. Is your mouth watering yet? They are the perfect party appetizer that will have your friends and family begging you to bring to every gathering for the rest of time. They look so fancy, but couldn't be simpler to make – and the best part is that you get twelve delicious little bites of savory goodness for under $5.00!
Have an idea for a #5under5 recipe? Send it to [email protected] and you might just see it on the site next week!
If you make this dish, be sure to post it on social media with #5under5 and tag @onegreenplanet so we can see your amazing creation!
#5under5: Buffalo Sweet Potato Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
The main ingredients in this recipe are: mushrooms, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and hot sauce. Other pantry items include garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- 12 baby Bella mushroom caps – $2.50
- 1 large sweet potato – $0.80
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas – $0.40
- 1 tablespoon plus two teaspoons Buffalo-style hot sauce (add more or less according to heat preference) – $0.35
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or another herb of your choice, for garnish (optional)
Total cost per serving: $4.05
To Prepare the Mushrooms:
- Prepare the mushrooms by cleaning and de-stemming them so their middles are hollow. Add the mushrooms to a large heat-proof bowl with about 1/2-inch of water. Cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds to one minute, until the mushrooms are tender and cooked through. Alternatively, you can steam the mushrooms on the stovetop over medium heat until you achieve the same result. Set aside.
To Make the Buffalo Sweet Potato Pâté:
- Prepare your sweet potato by microwaving it on high for 6-8 minutes, until it is fork-tender. Alternatively, you can roast the potato in a 400°F oven or cut it into chunks and steam on the stovetop. Once the sweet potato is cooked, let it cool slightly before proceeding to make the pâté.
- In a food processor, add the cooked sweet potato, chickpeas, hot sauce, olive oil (if using), and spices. Pulse until you achieve a texture similar to thick, creamy hummus. Taste for seasoning and adjust the amount of hot sauce according to your taste preference. We found that the Buffalo flavor gets slightly muted when paired with the mushrooms, so err on the side of more hot sauce than you think you’ll need.
- At this point, the mushrooms should be cool enough to handle and ready to fill. Take a rounded tablespoon of filling and stuff it into the mushroom cap. Repeat until all mushrooms are stuffed with a generous amount of pâté. Garnish with black pepper, fresh herbs, and a drizzle of hot sauce. Serve warm.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? BROWSE THROUGH OUR OTHER FAB #5UNDER5 RECIPES!
Per Serving (1 mushroom) Calories: 48 | Carbs: 6 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 2 g | Sodium: 77 g | Sugar: 1 g
We calculated the sodium content taking into consideration that draining and rinsing canned beans reduces sodium content by 41 percent.
The cost of the serving size above is based on the NYC Metro Area product pricing below:
10-ounce box of baby Bella mushrooms: $2.50
3 pound bag of sweet potatoes: $4.50
15-ounce can of chickpeas: $0.80
12-ounce bottle of Buffalo-style hot sauce: $5.00
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: