Soy curls are one of the most versatile products out there. You can make so many different things with them, like, the spicy and crumbly topping in this rich, creamy, gooey Buffalo mac and cheese. By using the soy curl crumbs as a topping, you get a gluten-free, high-protein, lower-carb topping! Not only is the topping spicy, the creamy cheese sauce is made with hot sauce for extra heat.
Buffalo Mac and Cheese Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Soy Curls:
- 1 bag soy curls
- 1 cup soy curl crumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the Mac and Cheese:
- 1 pound gluten-free pasta
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Empty the bag of soy curls and the soy curl crumbs into separate bowls and cover each with hot water. Let stand for 10 minutes until the soy curls are softened. Drain each separately and gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Pat dry and toss to coat the soy curls and the crumbs with the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the soy curls until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Add in the onion and celery and cook for 4 minutes until the vegetables are softened. Add the hot sauce and toss to coat. Transfer the soy curls to a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, heat more oil and cook the soy curl crumbs until browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a handful of salt and the pasta to the pot. Stir and let cook until shy of al dente, about 12 minutes depending on the pasta. Keep 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking liquid just in case. Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard powder until it has formed a roux. Let cook for one minute. Slowly add in the milk and whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with garlic powder and hot sauce. Melt in the cheese and then turn off the heat. Whisk in the sour cream. Adjust for taste – if it’s too spicy, add more sour cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add the Buffalo soy curls to the pot with the pasta and toss to mix. Pour in the cheese sauce and toss to coat the pasta and soy curls. Transfer the mix to an oiled baking dish.
- Pour the melted butter into the soy curl crumbs and add the parsley. With your fingers, squeeze the crumbs incorporating the butter. Sprinkle the top of the baking dish with the soy curl crumble. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.