A delicious and wholesome muffin recipe that is full of flavor and fibre. Great for lunchboxes, breakfasts and afternoon tea. Plant based and vegan, as well as refined sugar and dairy free.
Bran Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 Cup Buckwheat Flour - sieved
- 2 Cup Wheat Bran
- 2 Cups Grated Carrots
- 2 TBS Ground Flax Seeds + 4 tablespoons Water
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates - sautéed with 1/3 cup water until soft
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Oil Free Raisins
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts - roughly chopped - keep some aside for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Cup Plant Milk of choice - I used Almond Milk
Pre-heat the oven to 360ºF fan forced.
In a small bowl, add the ground flax seeds and water. Mix and leave aside to absorb and swell.
In a small sauce pan, add the dates and 1/3 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the dates are soft and a thick paste has formed. remove from heat and add the coconut oil. Mix well.
n a large mixing bowl, add the buckwheat flour, wheat bran, grated carrots coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until all combined.
Add the flax mixture, date and coconut oil mixture, vanilla extract and cup of plant milk of choice. Mix well until everything is fully combined.
In a 12 hole muffin tray, line with muffin cups. I use an olive oil spray and cook to coat the cups, ensure the batter doesn't stick to the walls of the paper.
Carefully spoon the mixture evenly into each muffin cup. Garnish the tops with roughly copped walnuts.
Once the oven is at temperature, place the tray in at 360ºF fan forced for 20 mins.
Remove at 20 mins, rotate the tray and pop back into the oven for a further 10 minutes at 280ºF.
Remove and allow to cool for at least 5 mins. Thy should be cooked through, when poked with a knife - it should come out clear. Cooking times may vary with different ovens.
Serve with a warm cup of chai tea and enjoy.