This is a healthy alternative to a traditionally fried dessert! These berlin balls are light and sweet, and aren't full of oil. Dig in!
Bolas De Berlim: Portugese Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the berlin balls:
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 1/4 cup coconut oil at room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
For the cream filling:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup almond milk (unheated)
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of curcuma (optional, just to give a yellow shade)
- Beat the xylitol with the coconut oil. Add the milk, flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and beat everything together.
- Shape and hold the dough in place using cookie cutters or aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Gently remove the cookie cutters/aluminum foil. Brush with coconut oil and roll the balls over xylitol.
- Allow them to cool completely. Off of the heat, mix all of the cream filling ingredients very well in a pot with a whisk. Bring to medium heat and stir until it begins to boil and thicken.
- Let it cook for a few minutes, until it is at the consistency you like.
- Remove, set aside and allow to cool. After the balls and the cream are cold, cut into the middle of the balls (carefully) and fill with the cream.
- Leftovers must be stored in the refrigerator.