In this recipe, sweet, gooey blueberries fill a deliciously flaky and slightly sweet hand pie crust. They're an amazing breakfast when warmed just a little bit, or even for dessert, with a drizzle of cashew frosting. These portable pillows of joy and plump, juicy blueberries are so good, you'll want to make them daily.
Blueberry Hand Pies With a Flaky Crust [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegan butter, melted
- For the filling, toss blueberries, lemon zest, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour and salt together in a large bowl and mix a little. Add solid coconut oil and use a fork or pastry cutter to incorporate until mixture is crumbly (think pebbles of oil and dough). Add water slowly while mixing until dough starts to come together. Make sure it is wet enough to form a ball.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using the rim of a glass cup, cut the dough into 6-inch rounds.
- Scoop a generous spoonful of the filling onto one side of the circle of dough. Leave enough room to seal it.
- Before you seal the dough, wet your finger and run it along the outer edge of the dough. Fold dough in half and crimp the edges closed with a fork.
- Brush the melted butter on top of the hand pies.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Let them cool slightly before removing from pan.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS