This hearty corn muffin is the perfect autumn pairing with your favorite veggie chili. Blue cornmeal gives this muffin it's vibrant color.
Blue Corn Muffins [Vegan]
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups blue cornmeal
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup melted or coconut oil
- 4 flax eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub a muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Mix the vinegar with the milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix, combine all of the dry ingredients – cornmeal, tapioca, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, flax eggs and milk/vinegar mixture.
- Fold in the wet mixture into the dry, slowing mixing until uniform.
- Lightly grease the muffin pans with oil, then divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins. If you want a really moist and crispy topped muffin, try a cast iron muffin pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the top is firm and the edges are slightly browned but not too dry. Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.