Made in the oven or in the frying pan, accompanied with vegetables or in between bread, veggie burgers never get old! This recipe, made with a bean-based patty, is the perfect, meaty main course.
Black Eyed Pea Patties [Vegan]
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 1/2-ounces breadcrumbs + more for shaping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato pulp
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Chopped coriander (optional)
- In a frying pan sauté the chopped onion and grated carrots in olive oil until they are tender. Set aside.
- Place in a food processor the cooked beans and pulse until puréed.
- Add the carrots and onion, ketchup, bread crumbs, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ginger. Press everything until you have a paste. If you want add chopped coriander. Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Shape into balls, roll them in breadcrumbs and then give a burger shape.
- Bake at 390°F for 20 minutes, or cook them in a pan with oil.
You can also store in bags or boxes and keep in the freezer.