These are so perfect for lunch, dinner, snack, even breakfast. They’re also a perfect travel companion that will pack up easily and keep you full for hours, thanks to all that protein, fiber, and super nutritiousness. These bad boys also happen to be really easy to make, as long as you have a food processor. Serve them with bread, in a leaf, or on their own.
Black Bean Hemp Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats or oat bran
- 2 cups arugula, mixed greens, or butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking dish with parchment paper. Also grab a large mixing bowl, and your food processor.
- Add the red pepper and onion to the food processor, and pulse until minced. Pour into the large mixing bowl.
- Add the brazil nuts, seeds, garlic cloves, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt to the food processor, and blend until it has combined into a grainy mixture. Pour into the mixing bowl with the onion and pepper.
- Add the beans and cilantro to the processor, and blend until almost smooth (a few chunks of bean is okay). Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Pour your oats into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients, and stir well to combine. The oats will expand and help hold the burgers together.
- Form into tight palm-sized patties, and place each onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use a spatula to flip each burger. Continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with ciabatta, avocado, cucumber, and arugula.
I served this on toasted ciabatta bread, but you can choose whatever vessel for serving you'd like, especially if you're trying to keep the recipe gluten-free.