These vegan, gluten free brownies are the perfect low-fat, flourless, easy to make treats. They are incredibly tasty, quick to make and full of goodness, so you can help yourself to as many as you like (which is, quite frankly, all of them). Bake these in a muffin tin to give you perfectly-sized morsels straight from the oven, each lovely and crispy on the outside and a gooey on the inside.
Black Bean Chili Chocolate Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 13.5-ounce can of black beans
- 8 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds combined with 6 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or fresh vanilla seeds)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- Juice and zest of one orange
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the flax eggs and place in the fridge.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the beans and combine with the dates in a food processor. Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup (or agave), juice and zest of the orange and the flax egg. Process again until combined.
- Grease the muffin tin with a little of the coconut oil and add the to brownie mixture, giving it one final process.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients, except the salt.
- Use a teaspoon and spatula to divide the brownie mixture evenly in the muffin tray and sprinkle a little salt on each.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Once cooled, store in the fridge.
If you don't have a food processor this recipe can be made just as easily with a hand-held electronic blender or food mixer.