A good veggie burger is only as good as its ingredients. Black bean burgers would be terribly bland if you just smashed up some beans and made it into a patty. It needs to be treated like any entree. The varieties of flavors you can add are endless. I tend to go for a spicier burger with lots of onion, bell pepper, and a good amount of seasoning while this super simple cilantro lime sauce is a great topper for a spicy burger. It is cool and tangy.
Black Bean Burgers With Cilantro Lime Sauce [Vegan]
- 2½ Cups Cooked Black Beans or Canned
- 1 Cup Ground Oats (I took rolled oats and ground them in the food processor.)
- ½ Bell Pepper finely diced
- ½ Red Onion finely diced
- ½ Cup Cilantro chopped fine
- ¼ Jalapeno finely diced. More if you like it hot!
- ¼ Cup Corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbs Cumin
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 to 2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbs Oil
- Favorite toppings: Tomato, Avocado, Red Onion, Greens,
Cilantro Lime Sauce :
- ¼ Cup Vegan Mayo
- Juice and zest of 1 Lime
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Heat pan on stove medium high with the oil. I use a cast iron pan so that I can transfer straight to the oven.
- Reserve ¾ cup beans.
- Place all other ingredients in the food processor and pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.
- Stir in remaining beans.
- Form patties. I made 8 pretty good sized patties.
- Fry in oil for a few minutes on each side until browned and crispy.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
For the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients. Put in as much lime zest as you can get, its yum!!
- If possible, refrigerate for a few hours to enhance flavors.
To ensure the recipe has no trace amounts of gluten, select oats that are certified gluten-free
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Beans - AllBeans - BlackBell PepperCornLimeOatsOnions