Sweet, slightly sticky, and very crumbly, these berry and cherry fruit bars taste amazing straight from the oven. These particular bars contain tart blueberries and dark cherries, but they're very versatile, so feel free to deviate from the recipe and use your favorite seasonal berries! These bars are actually so wholesome that you could potentially enjoy them for breakfast with a glass of almond milk or crumbled in your oatmeal.
Berry Cherry Crumble Bars [Vegan]
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 1/2 cups dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 250°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan and then line with wax or parchment paper, then spray the lined pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, flax seeds,1/2 cup cane sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix the vegan butter, coconut oil, and water into the flour mixture. Once combined, press 3/4 of it into the bottom of the pan.
- Take the other 2 tablespoons brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon and the 1/4 of the flour mixture that's left and combine in a bowl, set aside.
- Next, toss blueberries, cherries, tapioca starch, vanilla, and maple syrup in a bowl, pour onto the dough you pressed into the pan. Smooth evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until browning on top. Allow to cool completely and then cut into squares. Serve or seal in airtight container in refrigerator.