Bengoon-Pora is a Bengali dish made of mashed grilled eggplant combined with mustard oil and spices. Its signature flavor comes from charring the eggplant over an open flame. The other key flavor at work is mustard oil and a pinch of sugar. This dish is savory, creamy, and unique and is best served with bread or over a bed of basmati rice.
Begoon Pora: Bengali Burnt Eggplant [Vegan]
- 2 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 small plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced, more or less to taste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat grill to high and cook eggplant, turning to expose all sides to the flame, until charred and deflated, about 20 minutes.
- Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Peel skin and place eggplant flesh in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash until well-blended.
- Serve with chapatis, also called rotis, or over basmati rice.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS