Years ago, the veggie burger patty was typically frozen, not homemade, and lacked flavor and character. Today you can truly make a veggie burger packed with whatever you like and take it any direction you desire. If you’re looking to explore the world of beet burgers, this recipe has your name writing all over it! The sweet and savory patty is countered by the spicy yet creamy chipotle mayo.
Beet Burger With Chipotle Mayo [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Patties:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or as desired
- 1 small package mushrooms, sliced (white or Portobello)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 3 beets, peeled, steamed, and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4 dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- Red onion, for topping
- Lettuce, for topping
- Avocado, for topping
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 adobo pepper, minced
- In a pan over medium heat, cook minced garlic with oil for a few minutes until fragrant. Add diced onion, cook until clear then add chopped mushrooms, seasonings, and add a few drops of vinegar. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Place black beans in a strainer, rinse, and place in bowl with cooked quinoa. Add the mushroom/onion mix.
- Put oats into the food processor and pulse until it forms a flour.
- Once the beets are soft, remove from oven, let cool, then place in a food processor. Pulse a few times with the oats, don't over process. A bit of texture is good. Add 4 soft dates (chopped) to the food processor with the beets to give the burgers a hint of sweetness. Once processed, add to the bowl with everything else and and mix together with hands. Add additional oat flour if they appear too wet. Place in the refrigerator to set for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook each patty for 5-7 minutes on each side. The thicker the patty the longer it will take to cook. You can also opt to bake. Set on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes on 350°F.
- For the mayonnaise, throw everything together and combine.