Every household needs a veggie burger that's a staple. This beet and chickpea is firm on the outside and tender on the inside — exactly what a veggie burger should be. This burger is smoky, hearty, savory, subtly spiced, and seriously satisfying. It's almost too good to be true!
Beet and Chickpea Burger [Vegan]
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- 2 medium size cooked beets (you can also use raw beets)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- A dash of liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas very well and dice beets and onion.
- Add chickpeas, beets, onion, garlic, oat, nutritional yeast, parsley, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper to a food processor and process until everything is mixed well, but still a little chunky.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape into patties. If the mixture is too wet, add a couple of tablespoons of oat flour first.
- Arrange patties on the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning them over once halfway through baking time.
- Serve on buns (gluten-free, if you prefer) with red onion, avocado, tomato, greens, and garlicky maple-tahini.