If you love dense, flavorful meals that don't disappoint, you have to try these beer cheese black bean burgers. The burgers are made from seasoned black beans, mushrooms, and plenty of herbs and spiced and they're topped with creamy beer cheese sauce, plus crunchy onion rings. While the ingredients to this burger are varied, the steps are easy-peasy.
Beer Cheese Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
For the Burger:
- 2 14.5-ounce cans seasoned black beans
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated white onion
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Salt And pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 jalapeños (sliced)
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoon vegan hot sauce
- 1 8-ounce package sliced Bany Bella mushrooms
- 1 cup beer cheese (recipe below)
- Vegan onion rings, for topping
- Olive Oil, for frying
- 4 hamburger buns
- Lettuce or other greens
- 2 avocados
For the Beer Cheese:
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1 10-ounce block vegan cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
To Make the Burgers:
- Drain, but do not rinse the black beans. Place in a pan with the minced onion, hot sauce, cumin, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, chili powder , salt, and pepper, then cook over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for a few minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the sliced jalapeños and mushrooms, then cook for an additional 3-5 minute until slightly reduced in size. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- Make the flax egg by combining flax meal with water in a cup, then set aside.
- Once cooled, chop with a knife to break up the mushroom pieces, then place in a bowl and use a fork to mash them. Continue mashing until beans are mostly broken up, with a handful of whole beans remaining. Add the panko and flax egg. Stir until everything is well combined. Form into patties and wrap in surround wrap. Let the burgers set in a refrigerator for 20 minutes or longer. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Place the patties in the skillet and cook them about 5 minutes on each side or until heated all the way through.
To Make the Beer Cheese:
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter until slightly foaming. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 1/2-2 minutes, until pale in color. Slowly whisk in the beer. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire, Sriracha, and garlic. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the salt and cream cheese. Stir to thoroughly incorporate. Reduce heat to medium-low. One handful at a time, add the vegan cheddar cheese, stirring in between each addition. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Place the burger patties on toasted buns and top with warm melted beer cheese, onion rings, lettuce, and avocado.