In this recipe, hearts of palm are mashed up into a meaty texture and seasoned in a way that perfectly mimics the taste and texture of the Maryland classic. These battered hearts of palm cakes are fried until crispy, then served with a dollop of creamy tangy homemade tartar sauce. These are best served on a bed of lettuce with fresh tomatoes.
Battered Hearts of Palm 'Crab' Cakes With Tartar Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tartar Sauce:
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoons relish or chopped fresh dill
For the ‘Crab’ Cakes:
- 2 cups hearts of palm (or marinated artichoke hearts), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For the Batter:
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
To Make the Tartar Sauce:
- Add tartar sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator.
To Make the ‘Crab’ Cakes:
- Drain and finely chop the hearts of palm or artichokes. You will begin to notice a consistency similar to crab meat. Add to mixing bowl and stir in onion, celery, and remaining crab cake ingredients.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups of oil in a large iron skillet.
- Set up a dredging station using 3 bowls. Place chickpea flour in first, almond milk in the second, and breadcrumbs in the third.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the “crab cake” mixture and form a patty with your hands. Cover the cake completely with chickpea flour, quickly dip in almond milk, and coat evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Place 2-3 breaded crab cakes in hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown, flip, and repeat on opposite side.
- Remove cakes from frying pan and place onto a plate covered with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of tartar sauce on each cake.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Hearts of Palm