If you’re looking to break away from the thought that all stuffings stink or simply need that beautiful side dish to compliment your holiday spread, you have to try this recipe for vegan basmati rice stuffing! Shaved Brussels sprouts and almonds add the perfect amount of crunch while the fennel adds plenty of holiday flavor.
Basmati Rice Stuffing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth (sodium-free)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shaved Brussels
- 1 cup sliced fennel
- 1 jumbo shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, optional
- Add rice, broth, bay leaf, and a pinch of salt to a pot, then bring to a boil. Place a lid on top then turn heat down to low and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until rice is al dente. Let pan sit off the heat with the lid on for 5 minutes then remove bay leaf, fluff rice with a fork, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onions, celery, and fennel and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and lightly brown, about 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, then add the mushrooms. Let cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss in the shaved Brussels, cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in the sage and thyme. Combine the veggies with the rice and top with toasted slivered almonds and dried cranberries.