This recipe uses multi-colored veggies to create beautiful and vibrant baked fritters. These crispy fritters are versatile and easily adjusted to whatever root vegetables you have on hand. Served with the accompanying tahini cream, this recipe is crispy, earthy, and smoky. Serve these on a bed of greens or enjoy them as a sandwich for a tasty lunch.
Baked Root Veggie Fritters [Vegan]
For the Fritters:
- 3 tablespoons flax meal, plus 6 tablespoons warm water
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- A scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 parsnip, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 beet, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
For the Smoky Tahini Cream:
- 3/4 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4-6 tablespoons water, as needed to thin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- A good pinch of sea salt
- Steamed greens (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
To Make the Fritters:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a baking sheet really well with either coconut oil or olive oil.
- Combine the flax meal and warm water in a small bowl, mix it up a bit, then set it aside to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate larger bowl, toss together the shredded root vegetables with the green onions, garlic, and rosemary. Once the flax meal mixture has thickened, add the almond milk, oat flour, sea salt, and baking powder and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Add this batter to the bowl with the root vegetable mixture and fold it in until everything is well combined.
- Place roughly 2 tablespoon-sized scoops of the fritter batter onto the prepared baking sheet and gently flatten the fritter out with your fingers. Repeat with the remaining fritter batter.
- Bake the fritters at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges/bottoms are golden and the tops spring back when gently touched. Cool the fritters a few minutes on the pan before serving.
To Make the Tahini Cream:
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, adjusting to desired consistency.
- Nestle a few fritters on a bed of your favorite steamed greens. Place a generous dollop of the smoky tahini cream on top of each fritter then top off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.