When you taste these vegan baked pumpkin spice doughnuts, you’ll understand how amazing they are. First, the doughnut: it’s exactly what a doughnut should be – firm, a little spongy, cake-like, and moist. With the pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves all combined ... cue the trumpets and angels singing. And if the pumpkin spice flavors aren’t enough to make you swoon, there’s the dark chocolate and cinnamon icing that covers the top and drips down the sides. Pure pumpkin chocolate heaven!
Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts With Chocolate Cinnamon Icing [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup applesauce plus 1 teaspoon baking powder, combined in a bowl
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons almond milk – add more or less to get the desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease the doughnut pan if it’s not a non-stick pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the applesauce egg replacer and the coconut sugar and mix until well combined. Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla and the maple syrup and mix until well combined.
- Add one half of the flour mixture and half of the almond milk and mix until just combined. Add the second half of the flour mixture and milk and mix until combined. Add more milk if the batter is too stiff. It should be firm but not difficult to stir.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and place on the rack until completely cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir the confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and milk together until smooth and creamy. The texture should be between frosting and a glaze. Add more milk if needed.
- When the doughnuts are completely cool, frost the doughnuts.