This baked penne is the perfect pasta dish if you like a little spice. It’s a pretty versatile meal and if you make it in bulk, it can be changed up very easily just by using different sauces and toppings. This version has lots of fresh vegetables, a creamy sauce, and minimally processed ingredients. The sauce is a little spicy, which you can adjust to your preference, and can be made in a matter of minutes with a blender.
Baked Penne With Spicy Rose Sauce [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/3 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 small jalapeños
- 1/4 medium onion
- 4 small garlic cloves, freshly crushed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 small organic lemon, freshly juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs or panko for non-gluten-free
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dice the red peppers into small pieces and cut the spinach into thin strips. Set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the sauce (cashews, non-dairy milk, vegetable broth, tomato, jalapeño, onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and pink Himalayan salt) into a high-speed blender and blend until it's smooth and creamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pasta, sauce, spinach and red bell peppers and stir until well combined.
- Put the mixture into a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
- Italian Sauce Recipes