In this recipe, penne is coated in a creamy, savory boscaiola sauce and béchamel then baked until golden. Not only is this dish is creamy, fulfilling, and comforting, but it's also a crowd-pleaser. Bring this to your next pot-luck and it's guaranteed that you'll be bringing back an empty pan. If you’re a pasta lover, then this dish is a must-try.
Baked Penne Alla Boscaiola With Truffles [Vegan]
For the Penne:
- 7 ounces penne
For the Boscaiola Sauce:
- 7 ounces portobello mushroom, sliced
- 1-ounce dry porcini, soaked in hot water until soft and chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups frozen peas, soaked in hot water to defrost
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon truffle paste or truffle oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Béchamel:
- 2 tablespoons organic sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Ground nutmeg and salt, to taste
To Make the Boscaiola Sauce:
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the chopped spring onion. When translucent, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add sliced mushroom, stir, and then add the porcini. Season with salt and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add wine, let simmer for about 2 minutes and then add chopped thyme, peas, and sage. Stir while cooking for another 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth, taste for salt, and give a good grind of black pepper. Let simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
To Make the Béchamel:
- In a saucepan, heat the sunflower oil. When hot, add buckwheat flour and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add almond milk and stir well. When it come to a boil, season with nutmeg and salt and let boil for a minute. Turn off the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast. Keep aside.
To Make the Penne:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease an oven-proof baking dish.
- Boil the penne in salted water according to the instructions on the package but drain it 2 minutes before it’s ready (for example, if the package says 8 minutes then drain after 6 minutes).
- Heat up the boscaiola sauce and add the truffle paste or truffle oil. Add the penne to the sauce and toss for a couple of minutes.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a little béchamel, pour in the pasta and cover with remaining béchamel. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden.