In this recipe, glossy, green, fresh jalapeño peppers are coated in flaky panko breadcrumbs and baked until crisp. The creamy lime dipping sauce provides the perfect balance to these spicy bites. These poppers belong on the appetizer table at the next party you attend.
Baked Jalapeño Poppers With a Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Jalapeño Poppers:
- 12 fresh jalapeños
- 2/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- Handful of chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
For the Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lime
To Make the Jalapeño Poppers:
- Preheat oven to 390°F and line a tray with baking paper.
- Cut each jalapeño down the longest edge. Don’t cut through the stalk — keep the cut small.
- Scoop out the seeds and remove any other bits from the inside, making sure to keep the right halves together and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into each half of the jalapeño and put back together, securing with a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining jalapeños.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In another shallow bowl or dish, add the plain flour.
- In one more shallow bowl or dish, mix together the panko breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Gently dip each jalapeño into the soy milk mixture, then coat with flour, back to the soy milk and then finally coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place the jalapeños onto the baking tray, spray with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.
To Make the Creamy Lime Dipping Sauce:
- While the poppers are baking, mix together the vegan mayonnaise and lime juice to make the dipping sauce.
- Serve immediately (don’t try to remove the toothpicks before serving).