What's more comforting than walking into a kitchen and being greeted by a big, bubbling pot of vegetable soup? Even better if it's this particular soup: it's hearty yet wholesome, and oh-so satisfying on colder days. Stir in a big spoonful of parsley pesto – it makes the soup twice as delicious!
Autumn Vegetable Soup With Parsley Pesto [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots. thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 inner celery ribs, leaves included, thinly sliced
- 1 small white or red skinned potatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 small tomatoes, diced (I used skin and seeds)
- 12 fresh yellow beans, chopped
- 6-8 cup vegetable stock or use water and vegetable bouillon cubes or demi glace
- A handful of chopped herbs (parsley, thyme)
- Salt and pepper
- Two large handfuls of flat leaf parsley (or 2 bunches that you buy at the store)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon capers without the brine
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
To Make the Soup:
- Heat oil in a soup pot, add the onion and cook on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, be careful not to brown it.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes to soften them.
- Add the potatoes, red pepper and tomatoes and cook for another few minutes, stirring.
- Add 6 cups of the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the yellow beans, lower heat to simmer and cook the soup, adding as much stock as you need to have the consistency you want.
- Add the herbs towards the end of the cooking.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. It depends on the stock you use, some have more salt than others.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and spoon some of the pesto into each bowl and serve immediately.
To Make the Pesto:
- Place the parsley, garlic, drained capers and salt in the food processor and pulse to chop the parsley.
- Add the oil gradually though the feeding tube, processing until the oil is incorporated and the pesto reaches the right consistency.
- If you would like to store the pesto, pack it into sterilized jars and keep refrigerated. Freeze for longer storage.