Who knew traditional Spanish flavors and fall squash could meld so beautifully together?! This Autumn vegetable paella has all of your fall favorites – Delicata squash, button mushrooms, cauliflower, pumpkin seeds – seasoned with diced tomatoes, yellow onions, paprika, and saffron for a dish that is bursting with Spanish flair. This paella is perfect for bringing to a potluck or batch cooking for a week of healthy meals.
Autumn Mushroom and Squash Paella [Vegan]
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 1 cup White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 delicata squash, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, for topping
- Pumpkin seeds or roasted butternut squash seeds, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice the delicata squash in half and remove seeds with a spoon. Then, slice squash into 1/2-inch slices. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then spread across a baking sheet. Do with same with the cauliflower florets and spread across the same baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing once.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon of vegan butter in a large skillet. Add in sliced mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley. Sauté until mushrooms are golden, then remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add 1-2 more tablespoons of butter and sliced yellow onions. Sauté onions until golden brown.
- Add diced tomatoes into onions and stir to combine. Next, add in 2 cups of brown rice and stir once again to coat. Toast rice for 1-2 minutes, then add in vegetable broth, cinnamon, saffron, and paprika. Stir to evenly disperse liquid and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 40-45 minutes over medium low heat.
- After almost all of the liquid is absorbed, stir in frozen peas and cooked mushrooms. Cook for another few minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice develops a bit of a crusty the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Top with delicata squash around the edges in a circle, and place the roasted cauliflower in the center. Sprinkle with lots of freshly chopped parsley and pumpkin or squash seeds. Serve.