We're giving these fajitas a delicious Asian twist, and making a wasabi avocado cream to go with them. You heard that! Wasabi! Which interestingly enough, helps anything with avocado brown less quickly! Who knew!
Asian Seitan Fajitas with Wasabi Avocado Cream [Vegan]
For the seitan and vegetables:
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons neutral tasting oil (canola, safflower, sunflower, etc, plus a bit more for the pan)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package of seitan (the firmer the better) (about 10-11 ounces)
- 1/2 an onion, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 a green pepper, cut into thick slices
- Salt to taste
For the wasabi avocado cream:
- 1 large, ripe, hass avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 - 1 & 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 whole wheat tortillas, bought or homemade
- Fresh cilantro
- Finely sliced red cabbage
- Extra hoisin sauce for serving if desired
- Pre-heat the oven to 410ºF with the broiler setting on, and move the oven rack higher to the top.
- Prepare the marinade for your seitan by whisking together the hoisin sauce, sriracha, oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce.
- Thinly slice the seitan and toss it with the marinade until coated.
- Spread the seitan on a shallow parchment lined baking sheet and broil in the oven for 20-25 minutes until caramelized.
- To prepare the wasabi avocado cream, mash together the avocado, lime juice and add the wasabi and salt slowly to taste until it is to your liking.
- In a pan on high heat, add a drizzle of oil to coat and sauté the onions and peppers until golden and tender. Season with salt to taste.
- Warm up the tortillas in a pan until slightly golden and warmed through.
- To assemble your fajitas, add a bit of the wasabi cream, top with the seitan strips, onions and peppers, add another dollop of the avocado cream, and top with fresh cilantro and the cabbage.
- Serve with extra avocado cream and hoisin sauce if desired and enjoy!