This dish is effortless, fresh, slightly sweet, slightly spicy, the breading maintains itself even though its only baked, and the sauce is universal and can be used for a variety of dishes!
Asian-Inspired Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Sauce:
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange (juice)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of arrowroot (mixed with 1/3 cup orange juice)
- 3 tablespoons scallions
To Make the Cauliflower:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 scallion sliced (garnish)
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat add all the sauce ingredients except for the arrowroot/orange juice mixture.
- Whisk everything together and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and orange juice until it dissolves. Gradually pour the mixture into the boiling sauce, while continuously whisking for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has become thickened. Remove from heat and cool before pouring into a jar. It should make roughly 1 1/2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces discarding the core.
- Combine almond milk, flour, and optional oil in a large bowl.
- Set up a station where you dip the cauliflower bites in the batter and let excess batter drip off. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and place on a foil lined pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently toss in the Asian sauce.
- Cauliflower should be coated but not soaked. Top with sesame seeds while wet.
- Place back on the pan and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender crisp.
For a more wet wing, coat in sauce after baking the final time. Top with chopped scallions and serve warm!