The beans are a key ingredient of Venezuelan cuisine and are part of many of its characteristic dishes, and arepas Domino is one of them. They consist of arepas filled with black beans and white cheese and are named after the combination of colors.
Arepas Stuffed With Black Beans and Cheese [Vegan]
For the Mass:
- 2 cups precooked cornmeal
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling of Black Beans:
- 2 cups black beans 8 hours soaking
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet chili
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup of grated vegan cheese
- We put the black beans in soaking the night before the preparation. We drain them well and put them to cook in a pot in abundant amount of water, together with a bay leaf, for an hour and a half until they are soft. Remove the foam that is formed during cooking.
- Cut the peppers and onions into small pieces, chop the sweet chili and garlic. We introduce the vegetable in the blender glass, add a little water and grind a little. Add the spices: cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and continue to grind. Prepare a sauce with the crushed vegetables cooking in a pan with a little oil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the black beans soften add the sofrito and cook another 20 minutes so that the broth thickens and the beans catch flavor.
- Prepare the dough of the arepas. We will see the warm water in a bowl and dissolve salt and sugar in it. In another large bowl we put the flour and add the water little by little stirring with a fork. When the dough begins to thicken we use the hands to knead it until it stops sticking to the hands.
- We divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions. We take the portions with moistened hands, we form small balls and crush them with the hand.
- Heat a pan or griddle oiled with oil and cook the arepas on both sides for several minutes until they are well roasted. We make a cut in each arepa opening them, but without cutting to the end.
- Fill the arepas with the black beans and the vegan cheese and give them a heat stroke in the oven at 180ºC for 15 minutes