What's better than biscuits? Fluffy, dairy-free biscuits speckled with chili and fresh grated apple! This spicy-sweet pillows of carb-y goodness swap out the butter for frozen coconut oil — the key to what makes them so soft and addictive. They go great with dinner or for breakfast with savory mushroom gravy.
Apple Chili Biscuits [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cold extra virgin coconut oil (see notes)
- 1 cup grated fresh apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Grate cold coconut oil on the large holes of a box grater into the flour mixture. Add grated apple and toss the two into the flour mixture to coat.
- Pour milk over mixture and stir into the flour. Gather dough together and place on a lightly dusted counter.
- Knead dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Roll out into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Cut into biscuits using whatever size cutter you’d like (the biscuits in the photo were made using a 3-inch cookie cutter). When you cut the biscuits, push the cutter down without twisting, this will let them rise higher in the oven.
- Place biscuits in a cast iron skillet or on a lined baking sheet. You don’t need to space them apart. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are browned and the biscuits are cooked through.
Freeze the coconut oil until it is hard and then use the large holes of a box grater to grate the oil into small pieces.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS