This rendition of the Almond Joy cake includes the most decadent recipes for chocolate and vanilla cake layers with that sticky, gooey coconut filling in between each layer. A thin coating of chocolate buttercream and ganache is poured over every inch of it! Complete with homemade almond joy candy bars to adorn the top!
Almond Joy Cake [Vegan]
For the Frosting:
- 1 recipes worth of vegan buttercream
- Cocoa Powder 3 tablespoons to make a portion of it chocolate
To Make the Vanilla Layer:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy milk ½ cup (120ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
To Make the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 10 tablespoons of hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To Make the Coconut Filling:
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup vegan sweetened condensed milk 1 cup (1, 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk simmered for one hour with 1/3 cup sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour or coconut flour
To Make the Ganache Icing:
- 8-ounces vegan semi sweet chocolate
- 3/4 soy milk
For the Vanilla Cake:
- Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the vinegar to the soy milk to sour.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy and this may take about 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Add the thickened flax paste while mixing on medium speed, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to incorporate evenly, add the vanilla extract.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture then add half of the soured milk.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and then the remaining sour milk.
- Add the last amount of flour and mix just to combine evenly.
- Pour the batter into a greased and parchment lined 7-inch cake pan and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 25 minutes or until it is springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- Combine ground flax seed with the 10 tablespoons of hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken to a paste Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda together in a large mixing bowl
- Combine the coconut oil, 1 1/2 cup boiling water and cocoa powder together and whisk smooth.
- Add the cocoa mixture and the flax eggs mixture along with the vanilla extract to the flour mixture and whisk smooth
- Divide the batter between 2, 7-inch cake pans filling slightly more than half full (you may have some batter extra, just make a few cupcakes) and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 22-30 minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
For the Coconut Filling:
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling together in a large mixing bowl, form your almond joy candies from a small portion of this (it should make 12 fun sized candies) add 1 cup of the buttercream from above to the coconut filling for a creamier cake filling.