The cakes rise quite a bit the first fifteen minutes or so in the oven, then they start to fall. Don’t be alarmed by this – that’s how they are supposed to be! There’s something so nice and homely about a fallen cake: the crackled top, the fudgey centre, the not-quite-so-perfect look about it.
Almond and Chocolate Fudge Mini Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 4.4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tbsp smooth almond or peanut butter
- 1/3 cup oat milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Grease two 6 inch round springform tins.
- In a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, melt the chopped chocolate and butter. While you are doing this (and keeping an eye on it) combine the ground almonds, cornflour, baking powder and raw cane sugar in a large bowl. Also mix the water and ground flaxseed in a small cup and set aside to gel.
- Once the chocolate is melted, pour into the bowl of dry ingredients. Also add in the oat milk, almond extract (if using), flax “egg” and nut butter, and fold in the wet ingredients.
- Divide the batter between the two cake tins. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the sides come away from the inside of the tins and the middle of the cakes have risen and fallen a little.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing the cakes from their tins. Dust with icing sugar if desired.