If you decide to try these Agave-Ginger Tofu wings by Dawn Hutchins from Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness, you won’t be disappointed. The pressed tofu soaks up the marinade making it crispy on the outside and tender and flavorful inside.
Crispy Agave-Ginger Tofu Wings [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/4 cup citrus juice, lemon, lime and orange
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos, tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds extra-firm tofu, pressed
- Coconut oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking
- Press the tofu to remove the water; meanwhile, mix your marinade - add the agave or honey, fresh citrus juice, liquid aminos, sesame oil, fresh ginger, garlic, salt and pepper to a medium sized bowl; tear the tofu into bite sized chunks with your fingers and place in the marinade. Put the container in the refrigerator to marinate overnight. Remove from refrigerator before cooking to bring to room temp.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or rub a little coconut oil to prevent sticking; add the marinated tofu bites, reserving the marinade; bake for 20 minutes, flip the tofu wings and rotate the pan and bake for another 20, or until the outside is crisp and agave or honey is caramelized.
- Cook down the remaining marinade in a small sauce pan until it coats the back of a spoon - about five or so minutes; remove the tofu wings from the oven and coat with the reduced marinade.