Hundreds of countries have their own version of rice pudding. This recipe, influenced by rice pudding originating from Central African cuisine, is very simple. It includes coconut milk, lemon zest, sugar, and warm notes of cinnamon. Enjoy it at any temperature for a light treat.
African Sweet Rice [Vegan]
- 5 cups coconut milk
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 cups white rice
- A pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Cook the rice, according to the instructions for the type of rice you’re using, with a pinch of salt, the cinnamon stick, and half the lemon zest.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the coconut milk, sugar and the remaining lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil and boil over low heat until creamy, gently stirring regularly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in bowls. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Serve hot, warm, or cold.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS