There has to be a rice bowl in your repertoire. It’s such a good way to enjoy so many different kinds of fruits and veggies. This rice bowl showcases the tastes of the tropics!
A Touch of the Tropics Rice Bowl [Vegan]
For the bowl:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 4 tablespoons raw shelled hempseed
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Toss the sweet potato with the oil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the pineapple and 1/4 cup water to a blender. Blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Add the pineapple mixture, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about a minute. Remove from the heat and set aside while assembling bowls.
- Place rice in the bottom of each bowl. Add rows of pineapple, cashews, hempseed, and sweet potato. Top with the sweet and sour sauce.