So pretty in pink with a delicious vegan chocolate base and topped with fresh berries, this cake screams summer. This pink, fruity, and decadent cake is one that everyone will love and ask for seconds. You could even make a bit extra of this cake and make adorable little cake jars! When the party is over and the cake is gone, you'll still have leftover! Genius.
2-Layer Raspberry Cream Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups raspberries, frozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon agar agar
- 2 1/2 cups full-fat coconut whipping cream
- Fresh fruit for topping (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 320°F. Grease a round cake baking tin (diameter about 8 inches).
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cacao powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix oil and soy milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Add vinegar and stir in quickly, then immediately pour batter into the baking tin and place in preheated oven. Bake about 45-50 minutes. Test when your sponge cake is ready with a toothpick.
- Remove sponge cake from oven and set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, slice the sponge cake into two layers. If you have leftover sponge cake, set it aside. I actually cut my sponge cake into 4 thin layers and ended using only 2.
- Place raspberries and sugar into a pan and heat up on low. Cook while constantly stirring for about 20 minutes, or until the raspberries have dissolved and the sauce thickens. Run the sauce through a strainer to remove seeds and cool down. Add agar agar, mix well, then return to the pan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for about a minute, then remove from stove and cool down.
- Whip coconut cream until fluffy and firm. Slowly add the coconut cream to the raspberry and agar agar mix, stirring well.
- Start assembling your cake: Place a sponge cake layer in a cake mold with removable sides and soak with a few spoons of water and sugar mixture or raspberry juice. Add a few scoops of raspberry cream and smooth it out. Place in refrigerator for a couple of minutes to firm the layers. Then, carefully add another sponge cake layer on top, soak it, and add more raspberry cream. Even the layers, and place in refrigerator to firm for at least two hours or overnight.
- Once your cake is chilled and firm, remove the sides of the cake tin carefully and place your cake on a cake stand. Decorate with fresh berries and roses and dust with powdered sugar. Serve.
- If you have leftover cream and sponge cake, tear up sponge cake into chunks, and place into glasses or jar. Soak, then add cream on top. Cover the jars with cling film and place in refrigerator to firm.