I love to use Vidalia onions in savory recipes, especially when they can be paired with stronger, bolder flavors. The sharpness of the vegan cheddar and dried dill in this cornbread is softened by the sweet onions and dairy-free sour cream, giving us delicious little muffins that go well with breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Vidalia Onion Mini Cornbread Muffins
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
- 1/2 of a large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or line a mini muffin tin.
- Melt the vegan butter substitute in a medium skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until the onion is tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- While the onion cooks, whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt and dill in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the grape seed oil, soy milk, sour cream and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the cooked onion and 1/4 cup of cheddar.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.