‘Tis the season to be baking, that’s for sure. With so many holiday parties and get-togethers, it seems like we’re always being asked to cook or bake something this time of year.
But with the constant hustle and bustle, you may find yourself pressed for time. Add in the challenge of making something gluten free and vegan, and those innocent little holiday cookies or cupcakes can be a real cause for anxiety!
The collection of gluten free baking mixes below are all vegan as packaged, and can easily be made vegan using non-dairy milks, coconut or other vegetable-based oils, and vegan egg replacers (either commercial, like EnerG, or a simple flax or chia egg), as needed. For more tips on vegan baking substitutions, check out A Beginner’s Guide to Vegan Baking.
Pancake and Waffle Mixes
I’ve had more disasters than I care to recount trying to make gluten free, vegan pancakes and waffles. Too dense or too dry, gummy or brick-like, and definitely not edible. Skip all the hassle with a well-tested, tried and true mix. Here are four great brands to try:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
- Namaste Foods Gluten Free Waffle and Pancake Mix
- Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix with Milled Flax Seed
- Maple Grove Farms Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix
Making a convincing gluten free pizza crust is one of the more challenging culinary feats. While many pizza crusts are already vegan, it’s pretty difficult to achieve that doughy, pizza crust-like consistency many of us know so well without wheat and other glutens. But it is possible! Two great options are the Chebe Bread Pizza Crust Mix and the Namaste Foods Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix.
Cakes and Cupcakes
Now we’re getting to the good stuff! While cakes and cupcakes can be a bit more forgiving for gluten free and vegan bakers, it can still be challenging to achieve a great consistency and crumb. These three mixes take out all the guesswork. I’ve personally tried of them, and know they turn out wonderfully using a flax or chia egg or commercial egg replacer, and are especially delicious when made with melted coconut oil!
- Pamela’s Classic Vanilla Cake Mix
- Pamela’s Luscious Chocolate Cake Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
This collection of baking mixes is especially exciting for all the cookie-lovers out there. While there are some delicious gluten free and vegan cookies commercially available, there’s something special about having a (semi-) home made cookie straight from the oven. Bob’s, Gluten Free Pantry, King Arthur, and Pamela’s each make a delicious mix.
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Shortbread Cookie Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Chip Cookie and Cake Mix
- King Arthur Gluten Free Cookie Mix
- Pamela’s Incredible Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
Breads and Muffins
Does a delicious gluten free, vegan bread sound like an impossibility? Bread is another item that can definitely be gummy or brick-like if you don’t get the ingredients right. Bob’s and Gluten Free Pantry have done all the frustrating experimentation in their kitchens so you can just bake and enjoy these wonderful breads!
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix
- Gluten Free Pantry Yankee Cornbread Mix
And finally, we can’t forget about brownies! When you need a chocolate fix, sometimes only a brownie will do. So if you’ve been afraid to experiment with gluten free, vegan brownie making, give one of these quick and easy mixes a shot.
- Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Fudge Brownie Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix
- Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix
- Namaste Foods Gluten Free Brownie Mix
Did we miss your favorite? Share it in the comments section below!