Cooking with arrowroot is easy, and the result is a fantastic, viscous sauce. Just be aware that once on the hot skillet arrowroot will dense the food immediately: don´t let it unattended!
Stir-fried Tofu with Veggies and Shiitake with Arrowroot Sauce
This Recipe is :
- 1-2 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 4-5 mini bok-choys
- 300 g firm tofu
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds to serve
- 2 tbsp concentrated apple juice
- 2 tbsp shoyu or tamari
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 250 ml water
- 1 tbsp arrowroot + 2tbs cold water
- Wash the carrots, bock choy and zucchini, gently rub the shiitake with wet paper towel. Cut the carrot and zucchini into matchsticks, tofu in approximately 2 cm cubes and shiitake in half, set aside.
- Chop the garlic and onion. Heat a large non-stick skillet or wok, and, when it is hot, add the garlic and the onion and stir for about 1 minute. Add the carrots, zucchini and shiitake, stir for 2-3 minutes and add the tofu. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Cut off the edges of bock choy, chop them coarsely and add to the stir-fry. Add a very little bit of salt (you will be adding soy sauce later), stir well, put the lid on again and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients but arrowroot in a bowl. Stir in the arrowroot in cold water. When dissolved completely, add it to the sauce mix, stir well and pour over the stir-fry. Mix well and cook very shortly, until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency (caution: it will happen quickly).
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the stir-fry and serve.