Chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans – are a great source of plant-based protein, complex carbohydrates, and dietary fiber, making them a filling, satisfying, and heart-healthy choice.
They’re also packed with several important vitamins and minerals, including folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and manganese. These nutrients are important for heart and bone health, metabolism regulation, and energy production. Adequate folate intake is especially important for pregnant women, as it has been found to help prevent specific birth defects.
Tips and Recipes
Aside from being healthy, chickpeas are also tasty and extremely versatile! They make a perfect addition to green salads, a delicious base for creamy “mock” salads (e.g. chicken or tuna), and pair perfectly with sweet and savory spices in soups, stews, and curries.
Ready to try some recipes? Below are 7 of our favorite ways to use chickpeas. Give ‘em a try and let us know what you think in the comments section below!
Herbed Chickpea and Sesame Crackers
Recipe by Anja Schwerin: Blogger, Anja’s Food 4 Thought
(yields about 20 crackers)
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive or sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 175C/375F.
- In a large bowl, sift together chickpea flour, salt, sesame seeds and thyme.
- Stir in oil, then add the water.
- Knead until it becomes a supple dough. Add little more flour if too wet, or little more water if too dry.
- Form dough into a disc.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out the dough evenly and as thin as possible, to 1/8 inch thickness (or less if you can). Remove top baking sheet.
- With a knife or cookie cutter, cut the dough into desired shapes. Poke each cracker with a fork to prevent puffing.
- Transfer onto baking sheet (with bottom parchment paper).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Break crackers at pre-cut edges.
- Serve immediately or keep in open bowl (they tend to un-crisp in airtight containers).
- Chickpea Flour Omelette With Spinach, Onion and Bell Peppers
- Chorizo, Apple, and Chickpeas with Fresh Kale and Cashew Sauce
- Tuna(free) Salad Sandwiches
- Moroccan Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
- Smoky Chickpea and Watercress Salad with Mango and Avocado
- Lemony Chickpea Salad
Got a unique, delicious chickpea recipe? Share it with us!