Summer is the time to enjoy mangoes! Not only are they delicious and low in fat and calories, but they are also an excellent source of a variety of nutrients, ranging from Vitamin A and C to dietary fiber and antioxidant compounds.
In terms of health benefits, mangoes offer the following:
- Great for your skin: Mangoes are a rich source of beta-carotene, which is converted by our bodies to Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps to rejuvenate the skin and can clear clogged pores, improve the skin’s elasticity and repair the cells to leave your skin looking smooth and feeling soft.
- Lowers Cholesterol: The high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C in mangoes help to lower serum cholesterol levels, specifically LDL or Bad Cholesterol
- Helps Prevent Cancer: Various studies have found that mangoes contain various antioxidant compounds like quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat that can help protect the body against colon, breast, leukemia, and prostate cancers.
- Great Alkalizing Food: Mangoes are rich in tartaric acid, malic acid and traces of citric acid that helps regulate the body’s alkali reserves.
- Improves Sex: Mangoes contain lots of Vitamin E that can boost your sex drive!
Here are 6 delicious ways to use mangoes this summer!
This recipe is refreshing, cooling and seasonal!
2. Mango Lassi
Traditionally, this North Indian drink is made with yogurt, but you can still enjoy this tasty cross between a smoothie and a milkshake by subbing coconut milk kefir for yogurt. Coconut milk kefir contains healthful probiotics that help keep the friendly bacteria in our guts flourishing. Kefir has been around for over 2,000 years and has been said to help improve immunity, aid in digestion, treat candida and yeast overgrowth, lower cholesterol and prevent cancer. The sour taste of the kefir mixed with the sweet of the mango makes this drink a sweet and sour treat.
This bright and lovely cheesecake is sure to brighten up your day. It’s the color of sunshine! Reminds you of summer, doesn’t it? It’s fruity, creamy and refreshing, thanks to the combination of orange and mangoes.
These green tea biscuits combined with sweet and spicy mango and ginger filling is a perfect pair. So throw a tea party and impress your friends with these decadent little sandwiches!
Here we are in the midst of the season that brings bright and colorful desserts and reason to put fresh fruit in just about anything. This recipe combines strawberries and mango in a light quick bread that is a sensible breakfast or a quick snack. No doubt, this is what an overabundance of strawberries was made for.
Now that summer is officially here it might be hard to imagine soup as a menu item. However, a light, chilled soup is the perfect option for the summer table. The combination of mango and butternut squash is cooling on the body and provides that extra *oomph* that is needed to beat the heat and humidity of summer. Mangoes are so versatile, they It can easily be used by itself, as a natural sweetener, an emulsifier in a dessert, the base for a delicious dressing, or that-special-something in a savory dish such as this.