This is another traditional country Greek recipe, ideal meze to enjoy with beer or wine. The original recipe asks for pork country sausage, which I substitute with vegan Italian seitan sausage, but feel free to use your favorite vegan sausages.
Vegan Spetsofai (Greek Stew With Sausage And Peppers)
- 3 big vegan sausages, sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 big onion thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 green peppers sliced in wedges
- 1 red pepper sliced in wedges
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, grated
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- In a cast iron pan, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and saute the sausage for a couple of minutes
- Transfer the sausage to a plate
- In the cast iron pan now add the onions, garlic, peppers and carrot and saute for about 5 minutes until soft
- Add the wine, lower the heat and add the tomato, spices and sugar and let it cook for about 10 minutes
- Transfer the sausage back in the pan and let it slowly cook in the sauce for about 20 minutes. Add a bit of water if it’s needed.
- Serve with warm bread (and as Greeks do, deep it in the sauce). Enjoy!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS