As the weather is getting hotter it becomes harder for me not to have ice cream. On the quest to become fully vegan, the hardest food to give up for me has been ice cream. I still indulge in some Mint Chocolate Chip cones once in a while. However, I have been consciously trying to cut the dairy out of my diet. These popsicles were inspired by my boyfriend’s obsession with coffee and chocolate. The pictures were also shot by him.
- ½ cup of strong brewed coffee (I used espresso beans and a percolator.)
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce or cocoa powder mixed with water (I used the sauce that came with breakfast at a restaurant in Indonesia while we were there on vacation last summer. We, of course, asked for extra. )
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- Agave syrup to taste
- A handful of Raw Chocolate nibs
- Mix the coffee with coconut milk and chocolate sauce. If you do not have chocolate sauce simply make a paste out of cocoa powder and water.
- Add agave syrup to taste. Mix.
- The mixture should be more viscous than coffee but not like syrup.
- Drop a pinch of raw chocolate nibs to the bottom of each mold.
- Pour the mocha liquid into the mold. Add more raw chocolate nibs.
- Freeze for about 8 hours.
To remove, run the molds under hot water for a few seconds.
Makes 4 popsicles.
Words cannot describe how good these popsicles were. I was so excited that they turned out I was jumping around. They are not completely healthy but not totally bad either. Agave syrup is a good sweetener alternative to plain sugar. If you want a creamier popsicle, play around with the ratio of coffee vs. coconut milk.
These will be my favorite treat to make all summer long.
Try them out and enjoy!