Americans have always associated Thanksgiving with food. This recipe is a modification of the Gobbler Slices in Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. The roast may be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for 2 months, making the “day of” celebration even easier. The recipes for the brusselsprouts and sandwich rolls will be on my blog soon. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this roast is a natural for sandwiches.
While cooking, the savory aroma of this roast will have the whole family lurking about the kitchen. The list of ingredients might look long, but note how many of those ingredients are herbs and spices, which pack this seitan with all the flavors you think of for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal.
The Unturkey Roast
This mighty roast is enough to feed the family and still have leftovers, as is traditional. The roast may be cut into thin or thick slices. If desired, let cool, then bake the slices in broth until heated. The slices may also be wrapped in puff pastry with sautéed mushrooms, greens, or cooked crumbled vegan sausages and bread cubes. Follow the package directions to bake the wrapped unturkey. Serve with gravy.
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or soy flour
- 2 tablespoons Instant Tapioca, such as Minute Brand
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 300 °F.
- Combine the tofu, wine, broth and onion powder through (and including) the celery seed in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Stir together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, and tapioca in a large bowl. Pour the blended ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork. Add an extra tablespoon of liquid or vital wheat gluten to make a soft, workable dough. Knead for a few minutes, squeezing to be sure all ingredients are combined. Shape the mixture into a symmetrical log about 7 to 8 inches long. Wrap the log in a 12 x 16-inch piece of cheesecloth. Tie the ends of the log with twine.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the log until browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer to a 9 or 10-inch covered casserole pan. Pour the broth over the roast and add the remaining ingredients. The broth should cover the roast about halfway. Cover and bake for 2 hours, turning every 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut the cheesecloth from the roast. Strain the liquid and discard the solids. Keep the broth to use as a base for gravy, if desired.
Yield: One 2-pound roast