Start Your Fall morning off right with these delicious seasonal waffles – and look for the gluten-free option below!
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat or whole spelt flour*
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour*
- 1/3 cup Sucanat sugar (unrefined cane sugar)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I like pink Himalayan salt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 3/4 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Begin by preheating your waffle iron. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. You can keep cooked waffles warm by placing them on a greased cookie sheet or on an oven proof plate, covered with foil until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In another mixing bowl combine soy milk, mashed sweet potato, oil, and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth and combined.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour and stir until combined and no lumps remain.
- Lightly oil the waffle iron and pour in the batter. Cook according to waffle iron directions until done.
- Serve with Earth Balance and pure maple syrup.
*For Gluten Free Waffles:
- Replace the wheat or spelt flour with
- 2 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Mix and
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum!
- Continue through the recipe exactly as written and they work out fine~
Alexandra Jamieson is the founder and host of DeliciousVitality.com and WeekInAWeekend.com, and has been seen on Oprah, The Final Word, 30 Days and The National Health Test with Bryant Gumble. She was also featured in the award-winning documentary Super Size Me. In her three books, Vegan Cooking For Dummies, Living Vegan For Dummies, and The Great American Detox Diet, Alex offers remarkably sane – and tasty – advice on how to detox, live healthfully and feel fantastic.
Below are some more of our favorite waffles!