You will be amazed at how quickly and simply this meal comes together. And your friends will be amazed that the tacos are sin carne.
Tacos Sin Carne [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried textured vegetable protein
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup diced or crushed tomatoes, optional
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1 t paprika
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- any other toppings you love
- taco shells or tortillas
- To do this place 1 part TVP in bowl and cover with 1 part boiling water. Place lid on bowl and let sit for five minutes.
- While the TVP is re-hydrating, heat up 1 TBSP oil in a pan.
- Once hot add onion and saute, stirring often, until lightly brown.
- Once onions are ready add chili , garlic, and onion powder, cayenne, oregano, paprika, and cumin. Stir to coat onion.
- Add tomatoes. I just use whatever is in my pantry, usually diced tomatoes, and add to taste. The tomatoes add juiciness and flavor but could be omitted all together, in which case add a little extra water when adding tvp to onion mixture.
- Add tvp and stir until combined. Let sit simmer for 5 minutes for flavors to soak in.
- Prepare your toppings.